Quinoa & Courgette Tabbouleh
From Laura Green Yoga
This Quinoa and Courgette Tabbouleh is a fabulous summery recipe that is naturally vegetarian & vegan friendly, whilst still being high in protein. Using Quinoa, which is rich in protein and Omega 3, instead of the traditional bulgur wheat makes this recipe Gluten Free and Wheat Free as well. I love this recipe simply on its own as a summery salad but also as a side dish for a summertime BBQ.
Yield:Â Serves 2 as a complete meal or 4 as a side dish
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 2 Cups of Boiling Water or Stock
- 1 medium Courgette
- 12 cherry Tomatoes
- Juice & Zest of 1 lemon
- Bunch Fresh Herbs (such as mint, parsley, marjoram, chives, coriander)
- Optional: 2 preserved lemons chopped or 2 tsp rinsed capers, or 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts.
- Salt & Pepper to taste (I like pink Himalayan salt)
- Rinse 1 cup of quinoa in a sieve (donâ€™t skip this step itâ€™s important!).
- Place rinsed quinoa in a saucepan with 2 cups of boiling water or good quality stock, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer, lid on for 15 mins (check & stir occasionally to see it hasnâ€™t boiled dried).
- When the quinoa is cooked, it should have absorbed all the liquid and gone a little translucent.
- Whilst the quinoa is cooking prepare your other ingredients.
- Quarter cherry tomatoes, finely dice/shred/spiralise your courgette, chop the fresh herbs.
- When the quinoa is cooked add to a big mixing bowl, pour over lemon juice and then stir in along with the lemon zest, tomatoes, herbs & courgette.
- If using add either the preserved lemons chopped, 2 tsp rinsed capers, or 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts. These optional extras simply add a special twist and interesting flavor addition.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Either serve immediately whilst still warm or can be eaten cold as a salad.