Top 4 Yoga Stretches for Runners
Perfect for Injury Prevention, Improved Running Form and Recovery
These are post run yoga stretches or rest day stretches to add to your training regime. Running, even with the most efficient style, does put load, stress and strain on the body – but I get it you love it! So just make sure to add rejuvenating and injury preventing yoga postures and yoga stretches to your training at least once/week (ideally more). If you want to learn even more check out our Monthly Yoga for Runners Workshops in Southampton or the Online 7 Week Yoga for Runners Course.
Shin / Ankle Yoga Stretch for Runners
- Sitting back on your heels, bring your hands to the ground behind you
- Lean back and lift your knees up and as much of your shins as possible
- If you are tight in your ankles don’t worry if you don’t get much lift, it’ll improve over time
Runners Lunge – a Yoga Stretch
- A stretch for both the hamstrings and the hip flexors perfect for runners
- From kneeling step one leg forward, straighten the leg as much as possible (it’s ok to keep a little bend in the knee whilst your flexibility improves)
- Lift up the foot and toes of the front leg to also stretch your calf
- Keeping your spine long fold your chest forwards over the straight leg
Hip Flexor / Psoas Yoga Stretch for Runners
- From the above posture, bend your knee and place your foot on the floor
- Your knee is exactly above your ankle in the front leg
- Bring both hands to the floor on the inside of the front leg
- Slowly start to drop your back hip flexor lower to the ground as you lower your chest a little closer to the ground as well.
- Over time you can progress to placing your elbows on the floor
Quad / Hip Flexor Yoga Stretch for Runners
- From seated, carefully bend one leg back behind you and plant the other foot flat on the floor with your knee bent.
- As much as possible try to have even weight on both buttocks
- Bring first your hands to the ground behind you and gently lean back
- Over time lower down onto your elbow
- You must keep the bent knee on the floor
- Any pain in your knee come straight out of the posture
I hope that you give this yoga stretches for runners ago and enjoy incorporating them into your running training for less injuries, improved running form and recovery. We’d love to teach you more at either the Yoga for Runners Workshops on our Online Yoga for Runners Course.